Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Are you ready?


I had deplaned in Karachi airport and had two very large black duffel bags slung over each shoulder...no wonder they stopped me. Suddenly I had a very serious looking man with an AK slung over his chest sticking his palm in my face. Welcome to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

My bags were quickly searched for whatever it was they thought I was bringing in, which I guessed to be dope. Just as soon as I was detained I was cut loose to join my Principal (that whom I protect) and the rest of our party and off we went.

Those bags looked... well interesting. No doubt because, well they were large and black and heavy. One was loaded with clothes and the other with every thing but the kitchen sink as far as gear went for working over seas for the next 16 days. Knives (I always carry more than three when I travel), ASP Baton, radios, three dozen cliff bars, beef jerky, a very large self help medical kit, Meds, etc. When I finally got home I assessed what I had used and what I conceptually needed but didn't have to use, and what proved useless, so as to know not what to bring the next time.

Going in blind or someplace radically new for an extended period of time gets me a little gear itchy. I blame my youth for that. A product of the Boy Scouts (1st class) and Macgyver, and my old man. He gave me my first pocket knife (a knock off Swiss Army) out of his tackle box when we were on family vacation in Florida when I was 8. Since July 1982 I haven't left the house with out a knife. Even in elementary school I carried that knife every day. Dad even busted me once when he was trying to cut something and I pulled out that knife. Since I had just come from school he asked me if I took it to school, I said that I did. My dad's response was pretty classic "well don't tell anybody or they'll throw you under the school for that." And I never did. But I learned something from that cheap knife that set the standard a lot for my life. Be ready.

That's my question to you. Are you ready? Ready for what? What ever it is when the shit goes south. But specifically not something like natural disasters or government take overs. I mean are you ready for the evil, bad things that you pass every day of your life that you are unaware of.

Oh wait you've got that CCW permit, your fine.

Right?

I read an article last week from a gun rag and the author said "If you carry always carry." He is more than essentially right. Except he failed to mention what to do when you can't. I carry a handgun probably more diligently than most other "civilians" and maybe even off duty LEOs, to the point that NOT having a gun can be akin to not wearing shoes, something doesn't feel right. But having a gun doesn't make you ready. It makes you armed. There is a big difference.

Which is why some gun writers really get my goad. They talk about how you REALLY need to drop $1500 bucks on that semi-custom 1911 with a light rail, but when they show pictures of these dopes at the range they are 100 pounds or more over weight, and would probably die from heart attacks when the shooting started.

So this is where I ask. Are you ready physically...and mentally?

Are you in shape to fight?

Do you even know how to do that?

I assure you that I ask with no sarcasm in my head. Target shooting is not man shooting, and holsters and spare mags have nothing to do with full bore fist-to-flesh contact, and someday that's where you might find yourself. On vacation with your wife, your family, your girlfriend or co-workers where your pistoli is locked up in your house 2,500 miles away in the States.

Your mind is what makes the arm work which in turn works the hand that works the gun. Just as your melon does that is also gives you flight or fight capability. So if the gun isn't there and flight is not an option then you are left with un-gunned fighting. Notice I didn't say unarmed, and notice I did say fighting..as opposed to cowering.

See there is very little in life that I find to be random. Everything stems for something else, and unfortunately we can find ourselves right in the middle of it, even though we didn't have anything to do with it.

People snap! in society all the time. You know this, but you don't buy that its going to happen to you one day.

Neither did these folks:

-Man Beats Teen Girl Over Who Was First at McDonald's (Wednesday, October 01, 2008)

-An unidentified fellow passenger suddenly stabbed a man sleeping next to him, decapitated him and waved the severed head at horrified witnesses standing outside. (
Thursday, July 31, 2008 )

-A Woodbury teenager who underwent a heart transplant around five years ago has been accused of hatching a gruesome plot to murder a stranger at random.(
Thursday, August 14, 2008 )

-Austrian Horror Dad: I Was 'Born to Be a Rapist'

-Tokyo Slasher Suspect Purchased Stash of Knives Before Stabbing Massacre, Police Say
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

One of the most viable pieces of intel into the mind of a killer ready to rock-and-roll is that of Seung-Hui Cho aka the Virginia Tech Killer. Below is the link to his tirade on youtube. I strongly suggest you watch it. He's dead and no you don't honor him by watching it, you gain intelligence by learning from it.

Every day of your life there are people that are just like Cho in your world and mine that we have no clue about. Ticking time bombs that are waiting to go off. And one day you might find yourself in a position to have to deal with them. Watch it and get chills from it, but learn to ready for it as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyalPi1GeDY

I'll end on this note of a man who confronted an attacker in his home and sent him to hell, and he did it with his bare hands. Because at the end of the day its willingness that wins.

Indianapolis- A convicted sex offender died Sunday during a struggle with a father who found a naked man in or near his 17-year old daughter's bedroom, police said.

Police responding to a call from the city's northwest side about 3:20 a.m. found 64-year-old Robert McNally on the hallway floor with his arm around the neck of 52-year-old David T. Meyers, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Meyers was naked except for a mask and latex gloves and had entered the home through a window near the girl's bedroom with rope, condoms and a knife. He was familiar with the home's layout because it belonged to a relative, police said.

The girl awoke and screamed when she saw the man in her room, police said. The father responded and struggled with the intruder while the girl's mother phoned 911.

When the feces hits the impeller you have to be willing to take the fight to them, and break them of their will to continue to slaughter anyone else or you have to take their life from them so that you can saves innocent bystanders. And at the end of the day it will be you, because everyone else will be under a chair.

Be ready.

PAIN!

Our conversation had started with me asking “ So who shot you in the throat? ”, a basic conclusion on my part, b ecause on one sid...