Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Little bores for bigger roles

It's not my standard Modus operandi to link other articles (okay except for the ones I write elsewhere for other people) but, I thought I would share this one.

The plinker went to war The IDFs Ruger 10 22

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I had penned something along the same vein . To be honest on any given day I can be accused of being a Caliberist, I am of the old school thought that I like a large bore pistol when I can have it, and fortunately I can have it on a daily basis.

That said there is also a real need for diversity in the civilian defensive tool box and sometimes we all (self-included) can fall into the pit of latest and greatest buy-me-now craze. Fact is most of us are already pretty well geared up more than we know and the money desired to be spent on a new gun could be better served in buying spare mags and getting to the range.

While we all in the gun culture or defense community have our pet peeves and prejudices, whether it's AK vs AR, Steel vs Tupperwear....I mean plastic, the .22 LR and specifically the .22 long gun very much has a place in your kit.

6 comments:

Frank Karl said...

I shot a .22 match this summer and was impressed with the distance and accuracy you could get with a .22 rifle once it's zeroed. You can see more (shameless self promotion) at http://tactical-talk.blogspot.com/2015/07/making-shot.html

While I wouldn't recommend a .22 for CCW, I had a student who's hands were so crippled by age all he could handle was a .22. He shot it well, so I told him to expect to shoot lots and to reload at least once.

It is truly about have a firearm and shot placement.

Frank

Anonymous said...

I keep telling the guys I know that I'd sooner have a $1000 rifle and scope combo and $3000 worth of ammunition for it than a $4000 Sako (not that I wouldn't like a Sako. When I win the lottery, of course).

I ask them which one will make me a better shot and see the penny drop.

I have a $1000 Howa 1500 plus scope that WILL shoot cloverleafs all day (if I do my part) which everyone with a Tikka T3 that costs as a bare rifle $2500 without the scope sneers at. I'm at the range most weekends ... >};o)

Note - all prices in New Zealand Dollars, see a currency converter for US prices.

Phil B

Anonymous said...

Posted too quickly ...

My point is that PRACTICE will increase your proficiency and having a .22 will allow you lots of practice to develop the motor skills and techniques needed to be a good shot.

I have three .22's - a scoped bolt, an iron sighted bolt and a semi auto. They all get a lot of use and IF I had to rely on a .22, then so be it ... I'd prefer a larger calibre BUT as one fo my friends said, I'd sooner be missed by a .600 Nitro Express than hit with a .22.

Nope - get a GOOD .22 and plenty of ammo for it. You;ll be shooting it a lot.

Phil B

Matthew said...

Phil B, I was wondering where that was going. Glad you finished it up.

John Adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wilson said...

Interesting article, thanks for the link.